Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A day in Maastricht















Maastricht: impressive architecture, beautiful college girls, and tasty apricot pie.
Of course there's much more to discover in the Limburg capital, but one must not deny the power of first impressions. During my initial visit to Maastricht, I was struck by the sense of youthful energy given by the many students of the city's university, along with the firm sense of tradition offered by the city's buldings, cobblestone streets, and ancient city walls.
Liesbeth, my friend and relative with whom I am staying for my first week in Europe, brought me to the city to check out the sights and to visit the Brasserie Bonhomme, a little restaurant owned by her relative. Bonhomme is a fairly new eatery found on 'Het Bat', built on the banks of the Maas only two years ago. Already it has become a well established business. I am told the Limburg province is known for its pies... well, Bonhomme is no exception to the rule! My first dish there was the apricot pie, for this is a favorite in my family which I have never tried. If you are ever in Maastricht, visit Bonhomme and order apricot pie!

After pie, Liesbeth and I took a walking tour of an old section of Maastricht. There is an information centre near Bonhomme which offers a guide pamphlet with information about some of the major attractions of the city. Even without a guide, however, one will quickly notice the distinct style of architecture in Maastricht. Rows of multi-level buildings sandwiched together line the streets, many of which are slightly leaning due to the age of their foundations. Because they are so close, each building supports the other. Even the newer buildings are designed in such a way that they will not be too different from the old ones, and many old buildings are renovated rather than removed.





There is another distinct characteristic of the architecture in Maastricht: the very soft, sand-colored bricks of which most of the oldest buildings are composed. These bricks are made from marl, dug from the nearby grottos. At one point in time Maastricht and all of the Netherlands were completely under water, and so marl formed from the sediment at the bottom of the sea. For this reason the bricks are soft enough for passers-by to carve their names into! On the other hand, such a soft brick allows for artisans to carve ornate decorations into walls and facing. Aside from decorating the exteriors of the several exquisite churches, marl stone decorations are also found on private residences, reflecting the nobility of the past inhabitants of each house.




When I wasn't looking up at the facing of the buildings around me, I was checking out the many fellow students in this town. Maastricht is filled with beautiful college girls! Woohoo! One of my favorite things in life, and I'm not ashamed to say it. It was exciting to get a first glimpse of student life in Europe, only two days into my time here. And let me say, the prospects were wonderful. I look forward to studying at university here...

No comments: